“Christmas Tree Safety”
Enjoy the holiday season but be cautious with your Christmas tree. Buy a freshly cut tree and keep the stand full of water at all times. Keep it away from all heat sources and make sure it doesn't block a doorway. Check all decorative lights before placing them on the tree and discard any frayed or damaged lights and cords. Never place lighted candles on or near the Christmas tree. When large amounts of needles begin to fall off, it's time to get rid of the tree.
Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 1–2 inches from the base of the trunk and add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily. Make sure it is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, space heaters, candles, heat vents or lights. Also, make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
Most Christmas tree fires are related to electrical shorts in the lighting on the trees. Always use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory and replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections, NEVER use lit candles to decorate the tree.
Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed and make sure you have a working smoke detector.
After Christmas, get rid of the tree when it begins dropping needles. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.
The Ashwaubenon Department of Public Safety wants you to have a fire-safe holiday season.